Veliko Tarnovo is the medieval capital of the mighty Bulgarian Kingdom. Today it has an appearance worthy for a fairytale setting with fortresses, cobbled streets, craftsmen, king, queens and bloody battles. Join a small private group tour to the most beautiful towns in Northern Bulgaria, which also includes a visit to the romantic Revival-period village of Arbanassi. We promise a comfortable ride on an air-conditioned vehicle throughout the entire trip.
Safely travel in a comfortable modern vehicle to Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanassi
Have full control over the itinerary of this one day trip
Rely on an English-speaking driver who knows the routes and the local attractions
Have a choice of additional activities
Tours for February
Tours for March
Tours for March
What to expect during the Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanassi tour:
This is a 12-hour private tour with an English-speaking driver, where you program the details of your tour.
The travel time to Veliko Tarnovo is approximately 3 hours each way, but you’ll have plenty of time to explore the city, as well as visit Arbanassi, which is close by.
The city is one of the oldest ones in Bulgaria and is situated on several hills. On one of these hills is the famous medieval Tsarevets fortress and the river which surrounds it – Yantra.
Another interesting location is the city is the main merchant street – Samovodska Charshia. Here you can see lots of small family-run craft shops, from which you can buy a variety of hand made souvenirs and trinkets.
After fully exploring Veliko Tarnovo, your last planned stop is the village of Arbanassi – an architectural and museum reserve. There you’ll discover the way of life of 18th-century Bulgarian merchants and craftsmen. You can also get to try the local cuisine specialties!
- Car – 3 (4) seats – 199 Euro/vehicle
- Minibus – 8 seats – 249 Euro/vehicle
- English-speaking driver
- Transfer with a comfortable air-conditioned car or minivan, throughout the tour.
- Pick up and drop-off from your accommodation in Sofia.
- Admission fees, food, and personal expenses
Good to know before you go:
- Due to the longer travel time, we recommend departing from Sofia at around 7-8 AM
- It’s highly recommended to wear comfortable shoes, due to the mostly cobbled streets of Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanassi
- The tour is not suitable for disabled people
- During the summer months, it may get very hot. It’s good to bring sun lotion, sunglasses and a hat
- There’s plenty of restaurants with tasty food in the center of the city
- Is good to carry cash (leva) with you, as not all places accept card payments
- If you’d like to travel in a group tour with an English-speaking tour guide, you may go book this tour from HERE
- You can read more about Veliko Tarnovo from our blog post.